Perfect comfort food for cool autumn evenings.
Using extra virgin rapeseed oil and cider gives a lovely golden colour.
Ready in 45 minutes Serves 2
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 handfuls of butternut squash or pumpkin cubed
- 250g Arborio rice/pearled spelt
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 litre water
- glass of cider or wine (approx 150ml)
- pinch of saffron
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Add the bouillon powder to the boiling water to make a stock, and then place on a low heat.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the butternut squash/pumpkin, and cook until it starts to brown.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft.
- Add the rice/spelt and stir until coated in oil, then add the cider/wine and saffron. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add a ladleful of stock and stir. Add the spinach.
- Cook on a medium heat, stirring frequently, adding more stock as required.
- When the rice is cooked, remove the pan from the heat, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds.
What not book a course?